Please, please, please remember that is is a free piece of software currently undergoing beta testing. While I've used the FL Studio version for a while, the Reaper edition of this plugin is brand new and it might be best to give it a lengthy test drive on your system before using it in a production environment as there may be bugs or quirks I haven't encountered.
How do I use it?!?!?
I've prepared a video over on my YouTube channel that gives you a quick explanation of what this tool does. Have a watch and then we'll cover some of the more advanced bits and bobs below!
Advanced Bits and Bobs
For those that hate videos, here's a diagram giving a brief rundown of what everything is and does:
It looks nice, but how do I get up and running?
Getting up and running is relatively quick and easy. It helps to have a basic grasp of Reaper (adding and configuring track FX) as it's a little different from the FL Studio version, but lets run through a typical use scenario.
- First download and install the BRSO Articulate for Reaper beta using one of the links at the top of the page,
- Let's get the main Articulate UI up and running. In Reaper, select Show Action List from the Actions menu (or press SHIFT + ? ),
- In the actions dialog that pops up, select New Action... and Load... from the set of ReaScript: buttons towards the bottom right of the UI to open the file browser,
- From the browser, select the script called BRSO Articulate.eel (or BRSO Articulate REAPER4.eel if you're still on Reaper 4) and click Open,
- Click the Run/Close button. The main BRSO Articulate for Reaper UI will now appear. This UI updates depending on the selected track,
- You'll notice it says NO UACC FX found! We need to prepare a track in Reaper so that the UI knows how to talk to it,
- Find the Reaper track that you wish to control and click it's Show Track FX window ( ) button,
- Using the Add FX browser, search for the JS FX plugin 'MIDI channel to Keyswitch' (you may have to search midi_articulate_keyswitch),
- Add the FX and configure the on-screen options to match your sample library. An example is shown below:
I want to put it on a toolbar for easy access. Can I do that?
You sure can!
- From the Options menu, select Customise menus/toolbars to open the Customise menus/toolbars dialog,
- Select the toolbar you wish to add it to from the dropdown listbox. In my case, I've left it selected on Main toolbar,
- Click the Add button to the bottom-left of the customise dialog,
- The Actions dialog will appear. Select Script: BRSO Articulate.eel and click Select/close,
- Optionally, if you want to change the icon, click Icon... and pick Change Icon...,
- Click Save and then Close. BRSO Articulate for Reaper will now be accessible from your toolbar.